Portable long service leave for workers in the security industry

Portable long service leave you can put under lock and key

When you’re registered with ACT Leave, your portable long service leave benefits go with you if you move between eligible jobs within the industry.  

If you do relevant work in the security industry, you should be registered for portable long service leave.

Eligible workers in the security industry

In the security scheme, workers are in 2 groups:




Benefit type



Mandatory – must be registered by the employer

1.07% of gross ordinary wages, paid by the employer

Accrued portable long service leave

Includes full-time, part-time and casual employees performing relevant work. Also includes workers on a visa that allows them to work in Australia


Optional – can self-register

1.67% of ordinary remuneration or profit component, paid by the contractor

Contribution refund plus interest

Includes working directors, sole traders or individual partners in a partnership.

Getting registered in the security industry

As an employed worker, your employer would normally register you when you start work with them. 

Once registered, we’ll send you a letter with your registration number. 

If you don’t think you’ve been registered and you have not received a letter from us with your registration details, submit an employee registration form.

We’ll also send you an annual statement to ensure:

  • all work was recorded correctly 
  • your contact details are current. 

Use your registration details to log into the portal to:

  • check and update your contact details 
  • see your service history
  • update your contact details if you didn’t receive an annual statement.

Sole traders and working directors in security

You can still benefit from the portable long service leave scheme if you’re a:

  • contractor (sole trader or individual in a partnership)
  • working director.

To do this, register with us as a ‘voluntary member’ to gain a portable long service leave benefit. You can also backdate your service up to 1 year from the date you register.

When you claim, instead of taking leave, we’ll give you back the amount you paid in levies plus interest. 

If the scheme fund investment made a return, you’ll receive interest of 75% of the rate of return.

Registering as a contractor

To register as a contractor, complete the relevant form:

Recording service as a contractor

If you register with us as a contractor, you must then lodge quarterly returns through the portal.

Each quarter, you’ll declare:

  • how many days you worked
  • your gross ordinary wages or profit part of your income for the quarterly return period.

You’ll pay a levy of 2.5% on what you declare. Most contractors use a $130 minimum daily rate of pay to calculate the gross ordinary wages.

If you have both employee and contractor service recorded, you’ll receive the sum of the worker part and your contractor part when you claim.

Accruing portable long service leave in the security industry

If you were registered in the security industry scheme in the ACT on or after 1 January 2013, you accrue 8.67 weeks of portable long service leave for every 10 years of service.

Your service combines under the scheme when you accrue it as:

  • an employed worker
  • contractor. 

For example, you would gain a total of 10 years of service in the scheme if you recorded:

  • 6 years as an employed worker 
  • 4 years as a contractor. 

See more information on entitlements and how to claim.

Getting deregistered

If you have had no service recorded in the ACT for 4 years, your account will deregister (close) from ACT Leave.

We’ll let you know 3 to 6 months before this is due to happen.

To avoid deregistration, contact us to provide proof of continued work in the ACT security industry.

Work in interstate security industries

When a worker moves interstate, service performed in the relevant industry in another state or territory cannot be merged with service recorded in the ACT. 
Only ACT service counts towards your entitlement.

Recording missing service in the security industry

If you think your employer has not recorded your service with ACT Leave, submit a missing service claim form so we can investigate your claim. 

You will need to ensure you were:

  • working in the security industry in the ACT
  • performing relevant work
  • an employed worker.

Along with the completed form, you will need to provide evidence that you were employed by the employer during the period of missing service. Evidence could include:

  • copies of your pay slips 
  • group certificates for the period of service missing.

More information

Was this helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!